Monday, November 25, 2013

Ride, Ride, Ride


I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a major sports hangover.  Such big games last week, I literally don't know what to do with myself.  I will probably randomly shout out, "Rebound!" or "Tackle him!" just to get my fix of sports yelling, one of my favorite past times.  Last week, I seriously contemplated kicking a cup of ice out of Husband's hands, just to see the reaction.  I don't know if that has anything to do with sports, but I thought it would be so funny.  When I told him about my non-executed plan, he just stared at me.  "It would have been hilarious," I said.  His response, "You're a jerk."

So my Cowboys, all of them, are great at everything right now.  I'm a happy little fan.  I love being a winner, it's what I was born to be.  Thank you, Oklahoma State for making me feel like the winner I always knew I was.

As I sit atop my winning mount, the following things intrigue me...

Chelf, as in Choo Choo. Why in the world is it so hard for people to pronounce this kid's last name?  Chelf.  Not Shelf.  Since when have you pronounced "ch" to sound like "sh"?  Do you order a shicken sandwich?  Do you then shew your shicken?  This is not a tricky foreign name like Patrick Roy.  He's from Enid, Oklahoma.  Chelf.  As in Choo Choo.  As in chugga, chugga, chugga, chugga.  As in CHAMPION.

The good ol' days. If I hear one more OSU basketball fan talk about the "good ol' days of Gallagher Iba," I may lose my mind.  "I miss the good ol' days," they say.  "It's not like it used to be," they moan.  You know why it's not like it used to be?  Because of fans like you, who are holding on to the way things were 10 years ago.  Times change. Basketball isn't played in the past.  It's played right now, in the present.  So knock off the "back in my day," speak and get your butt in the seat.  I'll be there, yelling so loud I get light-headed.  Keep it up, and soon you'll be saying, "Remember when OSU had a championship team, and I was too busy complaining on facebook to support them?  I should have listened to Kathy."

Time outs and hugs. Saturday night was so amazing.  If I would have had feeling in my toes, it would have been the absolutely perfect night.  Here are the things you need to know about my experience at this game:

  1. On two different occasions after big defensive plays, I yelled, "GET ON HIS LEVEL!"  If you were curious how ridiculous I am, there's your answer.
  2. There is a lady who sits a couple rows behind us who has a very loose grasp on the rules of football.  I suppose that's fine (not really), but she screams/squawks loudly throughout each game.  When she screams, it sounds like someone is torturing a baby lamb. I assume it's similar to what haunted Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs ("lambs...they were screaming.") Sometimes she just yells out random things like, "Their socks look like boots!" or "What in the world are they doing?!"  It's called a squib kick.  Get it together, lady.  But her favorite thing to do is scream to the sidelines for a time out.  It takes every bit of self control for me not to turn around and point out that they pay Gundy almost $4 million a year to know when to call timeouts.  Slow your roll.  
  3. On the other end of the spectrum, we had a guy sit in front of us, who was so joyous, it was contagious.  At one point, he lost a glove giving high fives.  As I've stated before, I'm not really a high five type of person.  But I went so far as to DOUBLE high five this guy.  And then, the best play ever occurred.  Baylor was threatening to score, everyone was nervous they were going to make a game of it.  The screaming lamb was yelling, "What are you doing?! Tackle him!  Get an interception!  Throw it to Blackmon!" and then they muffed the snap.  Touchdown Cowboys!  I yelled the entire time. I was jumping up and down, pulling on Husband's sleeve.  It was amazing.  And the guy in front of us hugged everyone around him.  He just went down the row.  Who am I to say no to a guy wearing one glove and giving out free hugs?  So I embraced a stranger.  That's how great Saturday night was.
Reflection.  Before the season started, I wrote my little "wish list" blog about what I wanted out of the Cowboys this year.  As a reminder, I asked for the following, "I want the Cowboys to break someone else's heart this year...crush the souls of some other fan base."  And lo and behold, we did it!  And it felt as good as I had predicted.  If we beat OU, my prediction/wish list blog may certify me as a clairvoyant. I can see the future.  GET ON MY LEVEL!  

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that lady sits behind me!! I want to stuff a glove in her mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are FANTASTIC! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "they pay Gundy almost $4 million a year to know when to call timeouts" -They pay Stopps more and he still hasn't got it down, ool

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record, Mexicans from the state of Chihuaha (yes, its a state and a dog) constantly pronounce their ch's like sh's even when their speaking Spanish and especially when they're speaking English. I find it ironic that people from the state that starts with a ch pronounce all ch words as sh. You're welcome for the cultural lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelf, Choo Choo, Champion. Shicken. This is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete