Monday, November 11, 2013

All the Single Ladies Run Roughshod


You know how a really good interview answer is to talk about the importance of being a life-long learner?  How you should always strive to learn something new, never settle for what you already know?  There is always more to learn, more ways to expand your knowledge and understanding, and more ways to grow... Well, I rocked that theory this weekend.  Freakin' Encyclopedia Brown up in here!  Okay, maybe that metaphor doesn't work...because he already knew stuff.  My weekend was probably closer to Amelia Bedelia, if we are sticking with literary characters from my childhood, and why wouldn't we?

I'd like to start with a sincere apology to you, my readers.  The title of last Friday's blog was, "Friday List." I didn't even have the courage to come up with anything that resembled clever.  I'm better than that.  You deserve more.  Hence my power-packed title today.  The median of the two should equal something similar to an enjoyable pun.

These are the things I've learned since last writing...

...The Kansas band is a good time.  Of everyone at the stadium on Saturday, they were clearly having the best time.  At half time, they did the Beyonce Single Ladies dance.  And because of that, no matter what the scoreboard said, to me, they were the real winners that day...

...The phrase is "running roughshod," not "running rickshaw."  I'm guessing, I was probably the only one who didn't know this.  It makes more sense to me to say, "We ran rickshaw over them."  I  like that mental image of running over someone with a wooden cart you power with your legs.  I don't even know what a roughshod is.  Can we lobby to change it?  What is that petition website?  Let's get this movement going! Moveon.org!...oh wait, I think I'm off topic.  Anyway, I was reading another blog, saw the phrase, "ran roughshod," and I thought, "what an idiot!  Everyone knows it's 'ran rickshaw.'"  Much to my chagrin, "everyone" didn't know that.  Apparently, it's my own private idiom.  Not to be confused with my own private Idaho...

...I think I might be a closet Lil' Wayne fan.  I know, I know.  I was so firm in my dislike of him...but my icy heart is starting to melt.  I'm softening to Weezy.  His lyrics are just so clever.  I can't put my finger on why I have such negative feelings towards him.  Maybe it's because he's barely 5 feet tall and has a funny looking face.  Or maybe it's his face tattoos. Regardless, I think we have an unlikely friendship forming.  We're like those Youtube videos of pigs and dogs who become best friends.  Because let's be honest, there is nothing cuter than baby pigs and puppies...except maybe a baby pig with a face tattoo.  The image of a piglet with a teardrop tat is giving me the giggles...

...Texas fans don't really have much of a sense of humor.  And they don't like it when you tell them that you, in fact, really like Mack Brown.  When you bring up the OSU game, and tell them, "After we beat Texas this weekend..." Longhorn fans just stare at you.  Even I can crack a fake smile.  Where did all your joy go, burnt orange nation?  Lighten up a little.  And for the record, I'm not even convinced we are going to win, but that has never stopped me from being obnoxious.  We are totally going to run rickshaw over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment