Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Can I have the definition please?

I feel like I should confess something.  I feed my dog fortune cookies.  I know that I shouldn't.  But he really likes them, and I really like the crunching sound he makes as he gobbles them up.  I also like to read him his fortune.  We had Chinese food tonight, it was delicious.  Mr. B's fortune said he would be called upon to help a friend in need.  Good luck with that...that dog only looks out for number one.

Fortune cookies, however, is not the point of this blog.  So let's all gather ourselves and refocus.

I've done a lot of DVR catching up the last couple of days.  And you know what that means, an Intervention  marathon.  I love Intervention.  And I love watching eight in a row.  It really gets my mind right.  I'm starting to think that I should invest some time in watching a marathon of Hoarders.  The direct result would more than likely be an incredibly clean home by Kathy.

So there is an underlying theme to all Intervention episodes.  And no, it's not addiction.  It's that "defining moment," that each person showcased dwells on.  The thing that happened to them that made them into the crazy drunk meth faces they are today.  In a not so surprising twist, most of their defining moments are bad.  Very, very bad.  It got me thinking though, does the bad stuff have to be your defining moment?  Can't something wonderful and amazing be your defining moment ?  I think the answer is yes.

So what is Kathy's defining moment?  What makes her so unique?  What explains her moxie?  Side note: I was told once on a train from Paris that I had a lot of moxie.  It was a guy from Tampa who asked me if we had cell phones in Oklahoma.  We had a quick discussion about what a ridiculous question that was and the conclusion was drawn that Kathy had a lot of moxie.

I believe these three things could be my defining moments:

  1. Oklahoma State wins the National Championship in football/basketball.  It has not happened in my lifetime.  But it will, oh it will.  Could be this year, might be when I'm in my 60s, but by God, it will happen.  I cannot express in words how much this will mean to me.  And at this moment, I will not.  I have no intentions of jinxing anything.  It could also happen when I'm old as the hills, and they win, and then the very next day I die.  I read a Sports Illustrated article after the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series about different Sox fans stories.  One lady was like 120, or something like that.  She was a diehard Sox fan, and was on her death bed, but vowed to everyone that she would not die until they won.  And they did, and then she died the next day.  Awesome. She went out with a victory.  Kathy wants the same....and to be buried in orange.
  2. Seeing drunk monkeys in Africa.  This is the best story I have in my material.  I can tell it to anyone and it's always a hit.  Okay, one time it wasn't a hit, but that person has no sense of humor.   I'm not a miracle worker, people.   So in turn, this encounter lead to me starting to blog and tell my stories on the interwebs.  All thank you cards can be sent to Zambia.
  3. The day my dad told me I could be anything I wanted to be.  I was young.  And I believed him.  And I still do...  I like to credit that childhood pep talk to my constant thinking, "If she/he can do it, so can I."  Thanks, Pops.  In my old age I'm losing hope that I can still be an ESPN anchor or an astronaut.  There is, however, still time for me to claim my self as a writer and/or photographer.  There's still hope.
So that's that.  Who wants bad stuff to define them?  Only Debbie Downer.  Not Kathy, she's always on the lookout for that silver lining....actually, I'm on the lookout for an orange lining.  Everything is prettier in orange.  Go Pokes!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate that you worked in moxie to this blog...good stuff.

    Also, keep the fortune cookies coming.

    ReplyDelete