Friday, November 18, 2011

Loyal and True

My first job out of college was working in an athletic department in Michigan.  Western Michigan to be exact.  I packed up and headed way up north to Kalamazoo, a city that I didn't know existed until I was called for an interview.  I have a lot of good memories from my time "up north" as I like to call it, but a memory that will always stick with me was the day I was called into a meeting and told my allegiance to Oklahoma State was bothersome to the rest of the staff.  I was stunned.  And a lot annoyed.  I honestly didn't understand.  Why wouldn't I be blindly devoted?  Didn't everyone adore their alma mater as much as I did?

I can't answer for any other school, but I feel like I can speak on behalf of my fellow Pokes.  Stillwater and Oklahoma State are like no other place on Earth.  They are intertwined, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am a Cowboy fan.  Football, basketball, wrestling, golf, baseball, soccer, you name it.  If we field a competitive team, I am cheering for them.  But above all else, I am an Oklahoma State fan: the school, the experience, the people.

There has never been a time I haven't been proud to be a Cowboy.  Ask anyone who knows me or who has had a conversation with me.  I will gladly talk your ear off about why OSU is so wonderful.  And any time I meet another Poke fan, I instantly like them.  Why wouldn't I?  They are cheering for the good guys, ergo they are instantly my friend.  No questions asked.

When tragedy strikes, as it did last night to the Oklahoma State women's basketball team, there really aren't words.  I am heartsick.  I'm pissed.  And I'm proud.  I'm proud of the devotion the entire Oklahoma State family has to one another.  I pray that everyone remembers the families.  And the team.  My God, the team.  How will they ever make sense of this?  It is quite possible, that people might think I'm crazy, because I have an overwhelming urge to hug anyone who is affiliated with OSU.  So watch out.

I'm not directing this blog to anyone in particular, just a little cathartic writing.  But I offer up this to the man upstairs: Thanks for letting us have Coach Budke, Miranda Serna, and the Branstetters.  Take good care of them.  You'll probably be surprised how much orange they wear, it's just what we Pokes do.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that I love reading your work. Today more then any. I have done really good tell I read this. I knew Miranda and your words have brought about good tears. She was so nice to me while I was in the weightroom. It's always sad to lose someone you know but God got him some great cowboys!!!

    ReplyDelete