Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Kathy's Korner, Football Edition

You know what I like about this picture?  The fact that only one kid has his name on his jersey.  He is either a. the coach's son b. the best player on the team.  "Look out for Fredrickson, he'll light you up." or c. He's a total jerk.  Not a team player.

Okay, so I have a few readers who have professed to not be sports fans.  My sports-themed blogs are somewhat lost on them.  For that I apologize.  I try to not only focus on sports, as there are other things I'm interested in, like shoes and funny animals, and crazy people.  But for today, I want to talk about the gridiron. 

In no particular order, these are Kathy's thoughts on football at this very point in time.

  1. Sure wish there was more coverage on LSU vs. Bama.  I can't find anything out there.  Doesn't anyone else recognize the implications of this game?  Sheesh.
  2. This season, thus far has been surreal for me.  I don't even like to write/talk about it in the fear that I'm going to ruin it.  Seriously,  I feel like I snuck into the party and am waiting to get kicked out.  So I'm just drinking my appletini quietly, hoping no one will notice me.  That being said, here are my observations on OSU thus far:
    • Kirk Herbstreit...c'mon man.  Enough already.  Get on the bus, your seat is getting cold.  I would like to point out that Herbie picked UofA and Mike Stoops to be the "team to watch" and "sleeper team" for the last six seasons.  And they NEVER were.  Mike Gundy = good coach, knows what he's doing, making history.  Mike Stoops = crazy person, unemployed, and looks like Barney Rubble.  We're the real deal, Herbie. This is THE OSU. 
    • There is currently a tattoo pact spreading about that is contingent on Oklahoma State winning the national championship.  I guess if we do win, we're supposed to get tattoos.  Am I a bad fan if I opt out?  How about a temporary tattoo?  My mom told me that she would disinherit me if I got another tattoo...and I believe her.  Also, God bless the South, but there are a lot of Bear Bryant tattoos floating around out there, and I like to make fun of those.
    • There are people who sit around us at home games that really don't know much about football.  It makes me angry.  Yelling, "That's so predictable, Gundy!" on the second play of the game, is ridiculous.  And groaning because we go three and out when we are up by 49 is a bit much.  Learn the game, people.
    • As the season progresses, I get more and more nervous for games.  It usually starts on Wednesday and lasts until the beginning of the 4th quarter on Saturday, depending on how we play.  I need to get a grip.  I also manically retweet postive OSU tweets.  I'm obsessed.  Must stop.
  3. The football universe is not allowing me to have too much success.  Due to my Cowboys' historic season, my fantasy football teams are taking the hit.  Good lord.  It's not pretty.  Tony Romo won't throw to Dez Bryant, Kevin Kolb isn't good, Tim Tebow only throws Hail Mary's and never 10 yard out routes...all of things are affecting my four teams.  Current standings: 9th, 4th, 9th, and 5th.  OSU better make it to a BCS bowl, because my fantasy pride is bruised. Sad Kathy.
  4. Watching football with dogs isn't great.  When I get nervous during a televised game, I stand.  Teams play better when Kathy is on her feet pacing back and forth.  This causes Mr. Bojangles to think I am either going somewhere or ready to play.  Bark, bark, bark.  When Kathy and/or Husband yells during football games, dogs like to get in on the action.  We learned this a couple of weekends ago when we were dog sitting and ASU was playing...poorly.  Husband yells, Kathy yells, dogs go crazy.  Must formulate new plan.
So that's it.  Those are my thoughts.  I won't say that my entire life's happiness depends on a Bedlam win....but I may never smile again if we don't win. 

1 comment: