Friday, September 2, 2011

It's our time!

Are you wearing orange?  I am.  And houndstooth heels, just in case I'm called away at the last minute to a Bama game.  Roll Tide.

Okay, I've been thinking all week about how I was going to kick off this football season for the Cowboys.  And after a few tweets last night with a fellow Cowboy fan, I've figured it out.  2011 is our time.  This season belongs to the fans.

I made the decision about a month ago that I was changing my mindset as a Cowboy fan.  For as long as I can remember, I have always been thrilled with victories and accepting of defeat.  Two years ago, my highly touted Cowboys rode into Norman with many expecting a victory.  We were shut out.  I made the comment, "I've been a Cowboy fan too long for this outcome to surprise me."  But that girl, she's gone.  Kathy has arrived and she expects her Pokes to win.  To quote the football genius that is Al Davis, "Just win, baby." 

So on the eve of kickoff, I offer up these prayers, to the heavens, to God, to Santa, whoever is listening.  These are the things I want, and feel like I deserve after 32 years of faithfulness.

  1. A BCS Bowl game appearance.  Pretty simple and straight forward.  Take us to the desert.  Or if you are feeling especially spunky, just go ahead and lead us to the Bayou. 
  2. Road victories.  We can and have won on the road.  I want to see home team fans wiping tears away as they head to the exits early. Beat Mizzou.  Beat Texas.  And for the love of everything holy, beat A&M...badly.
  3. Go ahead and let Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso be skeptical.  It's better mojo for us when they don't believe.  Besides what does Herbstreit know?  He's been picking Arizona to be great for the last six seasons.  Not so fast, my friend.  Desmond Howard is the only opinion that really matters any way.
  4. I'll refrain from naming names, it hasn't worked out in the past for me.  Two years ago, I wrote about Dez Bryant being my hero.  Then he had dinner with Deion and we all suffered the consequences.  Then last year, I wrote that I was excited to see Hubert Anyiam have a break out season, and he hardly saw the field.  Okay, okay.  I get it, higher powers. I will keep the name-dropping to myself.  But I will ask this.  I'd like to see a young man who hails from Ardmore and wears braces at the Downtown Athletic Club come December.
  5. And finally, Beat OU.  Please.  Pretty please.  I don't care how it happens, just win, baby.  I need this victory.  I mean, I really need it.  I asked my doctor, and she confirmed that yes, Kathy needs a Bedlam victory to survive.  Can you imagine a Kathy-less world?  The horror.
Last night husband and I got to watch the Sundevils kickoff their season.  I teared up just a little when they took the field.  I really love college football that much.  I cannot wait to yell at the top of my lungs so loudly that I become light-headed.  I cannot wait to give strangers high fives.  And I don't even like high fives.  In fact, I hate them.

It's game time, people.  And Kathy is ready.  Let's Go Pokes!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to 2nd those requests and add that any that translate to ASU be done as well...BCS game, road wins, beat Mizzou...and beat our rival. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete