Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hey Hipster, you look great in orange!

Am I a hipster?  What is exactly is a hipster?  Am I too old to be a hipster?  Are you my mother? (I loved that book).

This weekend, I started reading Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.  I started to question whether or not I was hip/smart enough to "get" this book after the first three chapters. I will preface this by saying that I had a margarita prior to starting this book, so that might have impaired my reading comprehension.  Then of course I started to question lots of things.  That's what I do.  Somehow I ending up questioning whether or not I could qualify as a hipster.  I'm pretty sure I want to be one.  Are they still taking applications?

In my quest to answer all of these pressing questions, I did some internet research.  Kathy loves the internet.  Urban dictionary has a very long definition of what a hipster is, you can read it here.  But these are the highlights: hipsters are progressive thinkers, who appreciate art, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. They reject mainstream appearance and wear tight jeans, vintage clothing, and have messy hair.

After initial review, I think I might mentally be a hipster, but physically I'm still a prep....kinda.  Work Kathy dresses very preppy.  It's her thing.  I can't speak for Kathy, but I'm pretty sure she would call her style, "classic and polished."  Casual Kath, she can't be pinned down.  Sometimes she wears Run DMC shirts, sometimes old sorority shirts, and sometimes random sports shirts from teams she has no affiliation with. On a side note, when you throw on a Dodger t-shirt or a Tigers hat, you need to prepare yourself with relevant facts about said teams.   Because every now and again, a stranger will want to talk shop with you about those teams.  Good thing I'm a virtual wikipedia of useless sports knowledge.  I'm like a boy scout, always prepared.  But mainly, Kathy wears orange.  In fact, this week, I'm working orange into every outfit.  I'm paying homage to my Cowboys and their first game of this unforgettable football season.  Husband is wearing ASU gold all week.  We are a united front.

On that note, do hipsters follow sports?  If no, I'm out.

So, if I really want to be a hipster, I think the following things need to be accomplished:

  1. I need a pair of hipster glasses.  I love them.  Next time I go to Arizona, I'm totally hitting up Urban Outfitters.  You want to know what's awesome?  My dad used to wear hipster glasses, in the 70s.  Looks like being cool just runs in the family.
  2. I should probably read more.  Less Big 12 Blog on ESPN, more New Yorker and smart stuff.
  3. I guess I should wear tight jeans.  Only problem? I'm no longer a pre-teen, so they don't look as cute on me as they do on the kids.  Is there an alternative?
  4. Looks like I'm going to need to move.  According definition, lots of these hipster types live in Chicago.  I live in Oklahoma City.  As much as I want them to be the same, they are not.
Maybe my friend Beauty and I could just start our own little counterculture.  Probably the number one requirement would be wit.  I know!  We could be witsters.  Who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. Katy (also not Kathy) Schroeder (aka Roll)August 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

    I'm with you, but I have no verifiable proof that I am actually witty.... Sarcastic yes. Witty.... Can we count it as wit when I'm being sarcastic while holding a glass of wine? If so, I'm in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can witsters wear Pajama Jeans or Jeggings? I think that would annoy hipsters the world over.

    ReplyDelete