Friday, August 19, 2011

Hey there Fantasy Girl

Oh me, oh my, it's fantasy football time people.  Kathy is playing in four leagues this year, and let me tell you, she's got some anxiety.  The stakes have been raised, there's a lot on the line this year.

Let me give you a little background.  I've been playing fantasy football for about four years.  I tried to play for several years prior to that, but no one wanted a girl on their team.  Apparently, these people missed the whole women's suffrage movement.  Ever heard of Elizabeth Cady Stanton?  She fought for my right to join your stupid fantasy football league.  Anyway, I waited patiently on the sidelines, knowing my time would come eventually.

As of August 18, 2011, I will be playing in four leagues.  One family, one of my friends, and two male-dominated leagues.  In the latter two, I'm the token girl.  I weaseled my way into the first Males Only one because it is run by Husband's friends.  The commissioner likes me and he let me play.  I'll be honest, I had a tough rookie season, but was in first place all of last season until the second week of the playoffs.  Stupid, stupid Michael Vick and his I-got-bit-by-a-radioactive-spider-so-watch-me-do-superhuman-things late season performance. 

And then yesterday, my very good friend from college called and asked me if I wanted to play in his league.  I was instantly suspicious.  They had a late drop out, so in the scramble to find a replacement, my name was suggested.  And apparently, the commissioner of this particular league was reluctant.  Don't you worry your pretty little head.  Just last week, I worked Jeff Saturday into a conversation, I'll be fine.  So here, I am, part of another boys club.  It's a lot of pressure.  My pride is on the line on this one.  I'll keep you updated throughout the season.  I think we can all agree that what is best for everyone concerned is if Kathy wins this league and makes at least two opponents cry.

For any of you who read my old blog, you know that I take fantasy football pretty seriously.  Mainly because I really love winning and hate losing.  But a lot also comes from the whole, "I wear skirts and heels and so my teeny brain can't understand the complicated game of football," line of thinking.  I mean seriously...it's not rocket science.  I've been known to pick a fight or two with Husband in regards to fantasy as well.  In the past, I have asked his opinion on starting certain guys in relation to the defenses they are facing and/or based on recent performance.  And Husband gives terrible advice.  TERRIBLE.  And frankly, I believe he's trying to sabotage my success.  I learned my lesson, I don't let him talk me out of anything anymore.  He abused his power.

And in closing, I'd like to address the subject of trash talking.  I'm not much of a trash talker, if you can actually believe that.  I let my performance speak for itself.  I also think it's bad karma.  Husband, on the other hand, has no issues with it.  In fact, last weekend when we were drafting he talked noise on my first three picks.  All I have to say is, you're cruisin' for a bruisin', pal.  And then I checked out this league of my college friends, and my goodness, makes a lady such as myself blush.  As you probably know by now, I am a delicate flower and do not use such vulgarity.  Well, not in public at least.  I'm curious if they will amend their insults in relation to my anatomy, or continue to focus on their own.  Only time will tell...

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow Fantasy Football chick, I love to remind my boyfriend of the year he "allowed" me into his He-man-woman-haters League and I wiped the floor with them all. Solidarity, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may need to hire you as a fantasy consultant.

    ReplyDelete