Sunday, July 10, 2011

'Merica!

For the love of sport, did you guys watch that soccer game today?  Oh my holy, it was the best soccer game I've ever watched.  #2 was last year's US Men's match vs. Algeria.  #3 was a Pinnacle HS game in 2007.  Husband was the coach, and I was a wreck on the sidelines.  

I tweeted earlier today that there is nothing better than an "us against the world" victory.  And I really mean that.  Okay, any Oklahoma State victory is better.  But it feels different when your country is the one that wins.  

I'll be the first to admit, I'm no soccer aficionado.  I've only been watching for six years.  You'll notice that number is in direct relation to the number of years I've known Husband.  Seeing that he coached, played and loves the futbol, it was time for Kathy to get on board the soccer train.  

So here I find myself, watching the women's world cup earlier today.  My observations are as follows:
  1. I don't trust anyone who goes by just one name.  With the exception of Jesus.  He earned that.  But all these Brazilians, really?  You have the audacity to just go by one name?   I don't think so.  
  2. I like to think of myself as extremely open-minded.  Accepting.  Maybe to a fault.  But when officials in international sports make shady calls against us, I automatically jump to the conclusion that they hate America.  Today I very much felt that way.  That official with the short dark hair hates America.  And freedom.  And democracy.  And bald eagles. How else can you explain a red card followed by second chance penalty kick?
  3. When Abby Wambach scored that goal in the 122nd minute, I promise you my heart stopped.  It felt eerily similar to when the US Freestyle Relay team beat the Frenchies in the 2008 Olympics.  And I instantly felt the need to yell, "Suck it, Marta!"  For those of you who were not watching, Marta is the one-named super star who plays similar to Manu Ginobili, another South American not to be trusted.  I mean, come on Kathy.  Have a little class, show some poise.  Win gracefully.  Can't do it.  Not in my DNA.  In fact, I believe I yelled, "Suck it Frenchies!" when we won that relay in 2008.  I'm a lost cause and a little bit of a poor sport. But I think that also makes me a patriot, so in the end, I come out on top.  USA! USA! USA!
I don't realize how big of a role sports play in my life, until it's the middle of summer and I have nothing to watch. No one to cheer for.  Last night, I sat and watched highlights of the OSU vs. Tulsa game from last season.  It was awesome.  We beat them.  Badly.  I sat wishing I had DVR'd all the games from 2010 so I could watch them now.  How pathetic is that?  And by pathetic, I mean genius.  Must remember this idea come September.

So on that note, I encourage you all to join me on the soccer train and watch us take on the Frenchies on Wednesday.  Do it for your country.  Do it for Jesus.  

3 comments:

  1. What about Madonna? Cher? Prince? I don't particularly trust the Material Girl's claims of no plastic surgery, but she's pretty bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best thing you've written. Though I'm a soccer nerd and my subjectivity cannot be trusted.

    ReplyDelete