Friday, July 29, 2011

And Now for the Sports Report....

I know I am supposed to finish my animal report, and I will, but I need to address something quickly.  Well, as quickly as I am able, I tend to be a little long-winded.  Deal.

First of all, my jet lag is drastically affecting my ability to focus on what the heck is going on with the NFL.  I mean, my head is spinning, people.  Let's all just slow our roll, and let me catch up.  It looks like I'm going to need to schedule a dinner with John Clayton so he can fill me in on all the trades and free agency goings on.  By the way, has anyone else noticed that he looks like a cross between a light buld and Beaker from the Muppets?  True story.

The most pressing thing on my mind is rooted in Oklahoma State's new uniforms.  In case you wanted my opinion, I love them.  The pictures could have been better, but overall I think they are awesome.  I'm a big fan of change.  The announcement of the new unis has stirred up a lot of message board chatter in regards to "tradition."  I've got some pretty strong opinions about said tradition, so follow along if you would like.

About a month ago, a guy I know from college made a facebook comment about the new uniforms.  This particular guy happens to be a news anchor in the Lone Star state.  He used to be a sports anchor before his big promotion.  He is smart, witty, and well versed in the sports world, and he just so happens to cheer for the same teams I do.  Therefore, I'm a big fan of his.  Anyway, his comment said something to the effect of, "OSU has new unis, I'm intrigued, cue the people who complain about tradition."  I commented that "tradition doesn't win games, it just makes you more obnoxious on message boards."  A few hours later, a guy who I do not know wrote the following, "Katie hasn't been around sports much if she doesn't think tradition plays a role in winning."  Please let me express to you all how difficult it was not to go all Kathy on this guy.  The decision to refrain from tearing this guy apart rested firmly on the fact that my friend who is the anchor is a public figure.  But I have a blog, so I can address this yahoo openly here.

First of all, Katie has been around sports her whole life.  And I am willing to bet my home that if you want to go toe to toe on sports knowledge, I will school you.  Not a threat, for this is fact.

Second, I didn't say tradition doesn't play a role in winning.  I said it doesn't win games.  And I firmly stand behind that.  Tradition doesn't score touchdowns, make interceptions, block punts, or cause pass interference.  Tradition helps recruiting and makes fans obnoxious.  And that is about it.

Don't get me wrong, I like tradition, and admire most schools who honor tradition.  For example, Texas A&M has more tradition that any school I know. They have 142 different chants, their cadets get to make out at games all in the name of tradition, their swaying fans make you seasick, their yell leaders/male orderlies have lots of fun things they shout...but they have won one Big 12 title and one National Championship.  That's only one more than my team.

And you want to talk tradition?  Let's examine my beloved OSU wrestling program.  Traditionally the best.  Yes, we are the best.  Not Iowa.  Don't even get me started on that one, pal.  We have 34 National Championships.  We are winners.  But, tradition didn't win Jordan Oliver his National Championship this year...the fact that he is a total freak did. 

Tradition makes for a great atmosphere, but it does not equal wins.  Besides, reinventing yourself is proven to be successful.  Look at Madonna.  She's no traditionalist, and look where it's gotten her.  I think I've made my point, let's move on...

There are all kinds of OSU fans who are complaining about the new uniforms.  They don't like gray.  They don't like Evil Pistol Pete (neither do I, for the record), all the combinations are "hokey."  Listen up, Grandpa, last I checked you aren't the one putting the uniform on. You can continue to wear your old moldy satin jacket.  You are vintage, and I appreciate that.  But what really matters is if the players like them and if the recruits like them.  And if the football team wanted to wear Crocs, jorts, and mesh belly shirts, I wouldn't care, just as long as they win.  Okay, I take that back.  I can never get behind Crocs.

I think the solution to all of this is clear...everyone should just agree with me.  Things would be SO much better...just ask Husband.    Oh, and Go Pokes!

1 comment:

  1. Would it be upsetting to you to know that Blackmon has admitted that he usually wears Crocs?

    ReplyDelete