Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I accept your challenge

Hello party people.  What is the good word?  I need to warn you that my spacebar seems to be broken or at the very least, hesitant.  So if words run together, it's not for dramatics, more due to a stubborn iMac Pro.

But let's focus on more challenges I'm facing, shall we?

First, the husband has started a blog.  If you would like to read it, knock yourself out.  His ramblings can be found at Rafferty Party of Two?  I was more than a bit surprised when this announcement was made. Husband doesn't write.  But it seems our weekend trip to hang out with my obnoxious friends brought him out of his shell.  His first draft didn't exactly paint me in the best light.  It went something like this: my beautiful wife writes, it doesn't look that hard, I'll give it a try, I don't have the flair for the dramatic like she does, I love my wife.  Ummm, see, you can't just slap beautiful in a sentence and hide the judgment.  I get it. You think I take things a bit far.  Blah, blah, blah.  For the record, I am a GREAT story teller, and great story telling requires details and a few exaggerations.  I'm just following the rules.  I see the challenge in front of me: encourage Husband to write (everyone should, unless you are really bad at it) without viewing this as a competition.  It is impossible for me to see anything as anything but a competition.

Challenge #2 occurred this weekend while we were in Michigan.  Technically, the challenge wasn't to me, it was between a bride a groom.  We travelled to southern Canada to attend a friend's wedding. This was my very first friend in Michigan and I was happy to see him and his beautiful wife start a new life together. Hooray for them.  Hooray for love. I was extremely excited when I looked over the wedding program and saw "Challenge of Marriage" following the prayer and reading, right before the vows.  Oh my goodness, what would this challenge entail?  A sprint?  Jousting?  Would it be a mental challenge?  I was literally on the edge of my seat.  This would be my first wedding challenge.  Much to my dismay, the challenge was not a literal challenge.  Boo!  It was a challenge to accept all that marriage is made of: ups, downs, love, and frustration.  Yes, that is important.  But I feel this could have been better communicated to the crowd with a Nerf gun or dead lift.

My final challenge is to myself.  I sat in a meeting last week for a new group I have joined.  The topic at hand was how so many members had great blogs about "all kinds of things."  Gee, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if my blog was promoted to this entire group?  I quickly realized that my blog is basically about nothing.  I'm like the poor man's Seinfeld of blogging.  Hence my NYC background.  Yes, I just compared myself to Seinfeld.  No, I don't consider myself at that level.  Work with me people.  My point is that I don't ever really write about anything specific.  I could.  I just don't.  I could write about cooking, or sports, or shopping, or traveling.  But I cannot force myself into a niche.  I just can't do it.  You can't hold Kathy down!  She cannot be pigeon holed.  Cannot.  Will not!  I may try to organize my thoughts a little.  That's not a bad idea, actually.  If I think of the blog as a column, I can figure out what I want to write for certain days.    Why am I even writing/thinking out loud?  Let's be honest, if you are reading this, that's all I really care about.

New challenge: pull yourself together, Kath.  You are out of control.

1 comment:

  1. Well you do have an amazing way with words. Love reading your blog too. As for your husband give him time to open his book. I wish I had your way with words. really do. Your words flow and keep me wanting more. Thanks for letting me in to a small piece of your world.

    ReplyDelete