Sunday, November 16, 2014

Irrational Kath


After watching my beloved Cowboys sputter through the first half of football with no creativity, no adjustments and no visible desire to punch the Longhorns in the mouth, I tweeted the following:

Gundy and Yurcich owe me a personal apology.  And a refund.

Who was to know that that tweet would lead to me not only being called out by a well-known OSU blogger, but also have an entire blog post dedicated to me.  I'm humbled by the attention.  My tweet was referred to "as irrational as it gets" for an OSU fan.  Wow!  Really?  I wasn't even aiming to be the top in the category, but you know sometimes you can't deny success.

See, I would consider the following more irrational:
1. Threatening players or coaches, as has been known to happen with other fan bases.
2. Call for Gundy's firing.
3. Burn my house down in anger of this season.
4. Burn your house down in anger of this season.
5. Stop attending games (which was suggested).
6. Speak in post-game press conferences about not being worried and focusing on the future.

I have to admit, I was a little surprised that this young man lacked the ability to see that I was not serious.  You know those children who are born without the ability to feel pain?  I fear maybe he was born without the ability to sense sarcasm.  And if that is the case, as Jay Z says, I feel bad for you son.

I suppose I must take this opportunity to point out that I didn't actually expect an apology and/or a refund.  First, we moved this spring and I never got around to sending out, "We've Moved!" cards, so there is a good chance he wouldn't even be able to locate me.  Second, seeing as Gundy has refused to acknowledge what a dumpster fire this season has turned into, I highly doubt my request would be acknowledged.

See, my comments stem from our fearless leader saying he was focusing on the future.  As the wise blogger pointed out, if you went to see a movie and didn't enjoy it, would you ask for a refund from the producers?  Well, to be perfectly honest, I had no idea this was an option.  Is this on the table?  Because I went to see Fear.com in 2002, and I'm still mad about it.  Had I known that I could contact the director/producer, I might have done this.

Let's just go with his example though.  Let's say I went to my favorite restaurant and ordered chicken parm.  And what was delivered to me was a piece of chicken that was still frozen in the middle with bread crumbs thrown on at the last minute, surely I would protest.  And the waiter might say, "Yeah, the outside parts of the chicken are cooked and we're really excited about what's on the menu for Friday.  It's gonna be great."  And I'd probably respond, "But I didn't pay for Friday night's dinner, I'd like for tonight's product to be edible."  And the watier would be all, "Yeah, the head chef, he's new.  But he used to make grilled cheese at his apartment and it was amazing, so he's the right man for the job."  And I'd be all, "That's a convicining resume.  Why don't you go ahead and apply my bill to Friday, I'll come back for that."  And then we'd high five and everything would be solved.

Really, what I was looking for was an apology ala Tim Tebow in 2008 following Florida's loss to Ole Miss.  Or even something close to what Eddie Sutton used to do.  On more than one occassion, the first thing out of his mouth was an apology to the fans, because "they deserve better."

I'm disgruntled.  And it's my right as a fan to be that way.  And it's my right as a Kathy, to be sarcastic about it.  You don't have to agree with me, that's cool.  But don't troll me, bro.  It's bad form.

No comments:

Post a Comment