Monday, October 13, 2014

Remember when


Remember when I used to write blogs on a regular basis?  Those were the days.  Let's jump back into it and dedicate the rest of October to things that smell or taste like pumpkin and Kathy writing on a more consistent basis.  Pumpkin spice room spray for everyone!  (I actually made that purchase yesterday.  Fall is about to go down in our house).

So, let's take a moment to reflect back on things I might have been right or wrong about in regards to college football...

Remember when I said the state of Mississippi was only valuable for their mudpies?  It appears I might have been wrong.  Which is super annoying.  Or as the Mississippians say, daggum 'noying.  I actually have no idea how people from Mississippi talk.  I met Dan Mullen years ago, but he's not actually from there, so I have no frame of reference.  So, let me take this moment to apologize to all the people in the Magnolia State for doubting your football teams.  *shrugs* I didn't know what I was talking about.  Also, let me take this opportunity that warn you, that when an idiot with stupid hair shows up asking questions and holding his phone out, that is Thayer Evans and he wants to know how you pulled a Drake.  Do I need to explain that?  Drake started from the bottom, now he's here.  Actually he started at Degrassi Community School, which is basically the bottom.

Whatever.  Hail State.

Remember when I said that I was tired of hearing that Texas was back?  That's because they're not.  Nope.  They literally outplayed OU in every aspect of the game, minus penalties and the genius decision to kick off to Alex Ross, and still lost.  I don't have the stats in front of me, but it was something to the effect of Texas 799 yards offense, Oklahoma 12.  AND THEY STILL LOST.  That's incredible.  Actually, when you think about it, it's impressive.

Let's all just address the burnt orange elephant in the room...the Longhorn Network was a deal with the devil.  You signed over your soul, and you must suffer for the rest of eternity.  *shrugs again* It didn't have to be this way.

All of that being said, they will probably beat my Cowboys.  Leading me to my last reflection of the day...

Remember when I said I had great trepidation about this season.  It seems as though those fears had merit.  Let me refresh your memory:

Kathy was all: I don't think we are going to be very good.  I bet we lose 7 games.
Everyone else was all: You're a bad fan!  Go Pokes!  Ride 'Em Cowboys!  Tyreek Hill is super fast.
And Kathy was all: Ummm, okay.  But seriously, our Offensive Coordinator is from Shippensburg State.  AND THAT'S NOT A REAL STATE!
And everyone else was all: It's Shippensburg University, not State.  You don't know anything.
And Kathy's all: Whatever.  I'm pretty sure they play 8-man football.

And then the Florida State game happened, and I had a renewed sense of faith. And then our quarterback got his leg amputated (no one knows what really happened, because our program is clouded in mystery).  And we have seemed to regress with each game since.  I read a Dean Koontz book like this once, and if we continue to follow this pattern, we will be maniacal lizards at the end of this season.  And that's not good.

I have more questions than answers with this team.  But these are the things I know: the chrome helmets are awesome and Tyreek Hill is in fact crazy fast.  Things that appear to be so: our offensive line doesn't seem to be getting any better and the offensive playbook doesn't seem to be expanding.  If you throw all those things into a crazy math machine, it spits out: it's gonna be a long two months.

I hope I'm wrong.  And if I am, I'll gladly eat crow...pumpkin-spiced of course.  With a side of Mississippi mudpie.


No comments:

Post a Comment