Thursday, May 1, 2014

A House Divided Will Always Love You

Greetings friends.  Good to see you again.  Talk about Mr. Unreliable...Kathy seems to have disappeared into blogging oblivion.  But I'm back!  I was inspired by a poorly written headline, and, well, the rest is history, suckers.

It's been a big sports week in the realm of real news.  Well done, universe.  What did we learn?  Racism is bad.  It never stopped being bad.  So stop doing it.  And stealing crab legs is frowned upon in Florida.  And frankly, I don't think Winston's punishment was harsh enough.  Seafood is a gateway food.  What's next?  Kobe Beef? Truffle Oil?  Fancy Mac n' Cheese?  Let's nip this in the bud and go ahead and suspend him for the first football game in 2014.  And Kevin Durant just needed a little kick in the pants to get back in rhythm.  For a minute, I felt like I was living in a big city like Chicago or Philly where media and fans turn against great players.  We got LeBron'd.  Big League City, indeed.

After watching the Thunder thump the Grizzles, I'm back to being the over-confident fan.  Good win, good win.  Blowouts are so much better than OT nailbiters.  When it's a blowout, I can get other things done during the game: clean, workout, facebooky fun, etc.  Close, what-the-heck-is-going-on-with-this-team and why-won't-they-drive-the-lane games?  Not so much.  And frankly, I can't handle any more Thundovers.  I gotta work the next day.   More taking control in the third quarter.  More Steven Adams.  Less Mike Miller.

So now that we all feel warm and fuzzy, I'd like to address a couple sports pet peeves with you.

I still love {insert losing team name}.  So it drives me a little batty when people feel the need to state after a very disappointing loss that even though the team ripped their heart out, they still love them win or lose.  Well you know what?  Kathy loves her teams a little less when they let her down.  I'll never stop loving the Cowboys.  But when they lost Bedlam (all of them) and the majority of basketball season, I didn't love love them.  I loved them like you love a boyfriend who shows up drunk to an important event.  Sure, the relationship will survive, but at the moment, I don't want to see their dumb face.  Don't call me.  I'll call when I'm ready.  So next time there is a heart breaker, you don't have to tell me you still love the team.  I know.  Sports are like family.  You'll always love them, you just don't have to like them all the time.  (In case any of my family is reading this, this doesn't apply to you guys.  I like you guys ALL the time, pinky swear).

A house divided.  Ugh.  Are you serious?  Those license plates make me so mad.  Yes, yes, I realize there are much more rational people out there who fall in love with people who went to rival colleges or cheer for rival schools.  Good for you, I suppose.  But I just can't imagine anything worse.  When the Cowboys lose, I do not need to be in the same room with anyone who might have any shred of joy about it.  Because that person, in that moment, is my enemy.  You guys saw Sleeping with the Enemy right?  Not a good idea.

All of that being said, this weekend marks a "house divided" moment in our household.  The Arizona State Sundevils are taking on the Cowboys in baseball.  As you might know, I attended both OSU and ASU. I'm so fancy.  You already know.  I married a Sundevil, cause that was a totally safe choice.  Also, he's really kind and good, blah, blah, blah.  But back to sports.  I suppose this is an even more complex situation, seeing as I am a woman divided.  I am Janus.  Oh, who are we kidding?  I will never cheer against the Cowboys.  Ever.  Unless Tiny Human becomes a Division I athlete and is playing against them.  And even then, I'm not sure.  We'll evaluate when we see what her role on the team is.  I kid.

So Tiny Human and I will be decked out in orange while Husband sports his gold.  We'll cheer for both  teams to play well, as long as the Cowboys win.  No wiggle room.  Sorry bro, this is what you married.  Embrace it.  And like I always say, even though the Sundevils lost, I still love them!  Go Pokes!


No comments:

Post a Comment