Friday, May 9, 2014

I don't know what that means...


Ok, look.  It has come to my attention that I don't actually know everything.  I can tell you are as shocked as I am by this revelation.  From time to time, I come across something and I have zero frame of reference.  I can't even fake my way through it.  And since I am so humble, I will share three "I do not know what is happening" situations I recently found myself in.

It's tantamount. I was reading a semi-political blog the other day that used the word tantamount.  Assuming I knew the meaning, I kept on reading only to discover that my interpretation of the word did not fit the context of the paragraph.  I did a quick google search, only to discover that not only was I WAY off on definition, I wasn't sure I had ever heard this word used before.  In my life.  I was annoyed with the entire situation.  Mainly because it's a pretty obnoxious way to say "equal to."  Let's bring down the pretentiousness a little, shall we?

I asked Husband later that night if he knew what it meant.  This was our conversation.

Kathy: Are you familiar with the word tantamount?
Husband: Oh sure.
Kathy:  Oh sure?  Really?  You know what it means?
Husband: Of course
Kathy: Go ahead and define it for me.
Husband: The top, the pinnacle.
Kathy: Not quite.  I think you are referring to "paramount."
Husband: Then what does it mean?
Kathy: Equal to, virtually the same
Husband: that's what I meant
Kathy: Your response is tantamount to a lie.

Getting down to the brass tacks.  Imagine my surprise, while reading another article I learned that the correct cliche is "getting down to the brass tacks."  I would have bet $4 that it was "brass tax."  I don't know why.  Neither of those things make any sense to me. I use cliches all the time that I have no idea what they actually mean.  Like, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander."  No idea what that means, but I like the way it sounds.  I looked up what "brass tacks" means and it has something to do with hardware stores and measuring fabric precisely.  Seriously?  Who approved this for public distribution?    For good measure, I googled "brass tax" just to see if that was a thing.  It's not.

On another note, I'm starting to think I may be seeking out articles above my reading level.

Who is Craig Biggio?  I'm all for obscure sports references.  Lately, I've been driving Husband crazy by talking about NBA players from the 90s as if they still play.  For example, when the Portland game was on the other night, I asked when they were going to put in Clyde Drexler.  I've been told that my delivery is a little too dry, so it's hard to tell when I'm joking.  Sounds like a personal problem to me...  Anywho, I'm a strong supporter of well-placed random references.

Unless, of course it's Craig  Biggio.  After hitting his elbow for the third time in so many days, Husband texted me that he needed an elbow guard, ala Craig Biggio.  I mean, really?  I think you might have overreached on that one.  And by "might have" I mean, you absolutely did, because 9 1/2 out of 10 people wouldn't get that reference.

The moral of this random blog is that my confidence is shaken.  It's like I'm in a telenovela...lots of attractive people, and I have no idea what is going on.

But it's like I always say, the goose and Clyde Drexler are tantamount, now pay up on your brass tax.  Shoot, I think I might have messed that one up.

1 comment:

  1. Come on Craig Biggio reference and his elbow guard is GOLD!

    ReplyDelete