Monday, March 3, 2014

The only good thing about sunflowers are the seeds


What a game on Saturday, huh?  When the season started, that's the euphoria I was expecting feel all season long.  It was great.  I will let you all in on the secret to Cowboys' recent success.  No it's not the return of Marcus Smart.  And no it's not the pressure of having their backs against the wall.  It's my outfit.  When I was temporarily homeless, I had to go buy something to wear to the OSU vs. Tech game and had to borrow orange shoes from my mom.  I've worn the same outfit for every game since, and guess who hasn't lost...  I wish someone would have just told me all it would take is buying a new shirt and borrowing shoes.  Could have saved myself a lot of heart ache.

Here are a few random thoughts and observations from my post-game presser (it was an imaginary press conference that concluded with me holding up a newspaper and declaring, "This is garbage!").

Smarty Pants.

KU fans do not like Marcus Smart.  At all.  I read a message board post titled, "How punchable is Marcus Smart's face?"  They don't like that he did a back flip on their court last year.  They don't like that he flops.  And they did not like that he flexed toward their bench when the game was clenched.  They were very offended.  They hoped for him to be physically hurt in the future.  They hope that someone "punches him in the throat" in the NBA.  They think he is the biggest jerk in college basketball.  They can't believe a kid would be that disrespectful.  How dare he.  And you know what?  I totes agree.  If a kid flexes or taunts during a big game, he should be banned from ever playing again.  His scholarship should be immediately revoked, and both legs should be broken.  There is no room for celebrating and showboating in college sports.  None.


Wait just a second...there seems to be a flaw in this argument.  Oh dear.  Now what should I do?  By the way, how great is that picture on the bottom right?  Hilarious.

I love you, I hate you.

I noted to Husband during the game that for the first time in as long as I could remember, there wasn't anyone on KU's team that I hated.  There's always one.  I mean, there is always one on every team, right?  Like Brady Heslip for Baylor.  I don't like that kid, mainly because he's been playing since 2001 and his haircut is stupid.  But there is no one who is easy to hate playing for the Jayhawks at the moment.  It feels weird.  So I adopted Perry Ellis as my least favorite player.  The mustache put him over the top in the voting.

I would also like to state how good I think Joel Embiid is.  Goodness, what I wouldn't give to have a guy like that playing for us.  He is a legit center.  And how is it, that a school like KU has had a legitimate big man since the invention of basketball? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?  I think we have had two...total.  Possibly 2 1/2.  Embiid is an incredible player.  Every night before bed, I pray for world peace and that he enters the NBA draft this year.

Cheno-with-or-without.

Not game related, but has KU flavor.  As Husband and I were watching the Suns game on Friday night, the following conversation ensued:

Husband: Hey, isn't that the kid who played for KU recently?  The big white kid?
Kathy: You are going to need to be more specific.
Husband: I can't remember his name.
Kathy: Eric Chenowith?
Husband: Seriously?  That's your guess?  I said he played recently.  I'm pretty sure Eric Chenowith is on AARP now.
Kathy: Ummm, he's the same age as I am.  We were in college at the same time.
*silence*
Kathy: For the record, you just called me old.
Husband: Well, this is awkward.

Sweet Markel Brown.

Tonight is Senior Night for the Pokes.  This means we will be saying goodbye to Marcus Smart and Markel Brown.  Of course, I'll miss Smart, but I will really, really miss Markel Brown.  He is everything you would ever want in a player for your school.  And he is so damn fun to watch.  Can we petition the NCAA to let him play one more year because he's so good and I'm not ready to say goodbye?

So this is it.  The last home game.  I've gone to every single one.  I'd like to go out on a high-note: three or four dunks,  Mason Cox breaking the backboard, a double-digit win, and a t-shirt from the t-shirt gun.  I'd also really like to be part of the pre-game huddle where they dance, but I don't want to push my luck.

Go Pokes!




No comments:

Post a Comment