Thursday, January 2, 2014

A girl and her TV

Surprise!  It's Thursday and I'm writing a blog.  How'd you get so lucky?  For I do not know.  Something else I don't know: when fortune cookies stopped giving fortunes and replaced them with proverbs and advice.  Sure, I'm a wise and helpful friend, but what will happen tomorrow?  Will I win the lottery or not?  Give me the answers to the future, small delicious cookie!  Last week, Husband got one that said something to the effect, "Good lumberjacks have sharp saws."  Come on.  That isn't a fortune.  And I'm positive that Confucius didn't say that.  Big fat fail, fortune cookie.

Moving on...my blogging goal for the week was to write my random blog on Monday (check) and then give my thoughts and insight into OSU on Friday.  But then I fell ill and spent approximately 52 hours in bed, and I really felt the need to tell you all about what I learned on tv.  Forget books, the television is where all the good info is.

1. You really can learn from The Learning Channel.  I dedicated several hours to programming on TLC, including 3 hours to My 600 lb. Life.  Oh dear.  This show.  It was...I don't even know how to explain my emotions, but it definitely filled the void that has been left since Intervention went off the air.  The gist was that several people who weighed more than 600 lbs received gastric bypass surgery in 2004.  The show follows their journeys for seven years post surgery.  Fascinating.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I saw that after the 600 lb. marathon was a show titled, 900 lbs. a race against the clock (or something like that).  I watched approximately two and a half minutes of the 900 lb. man in Guam, and then had to turn it off.  Lesson learned: 653 lbs, okay.  900 lbs., too  much to process.

I also watched a special about people who don't age.  There was a woman in Brazil who is the same size as my 15 month old, but she's 31.  She loves to sweep the floor, is apparently "extremely vain," and looks like a baby.  My mind was blown.

2. My other guilty pleasure is prison shows.  At this point, I'm sure you are asking yourself, "What the hell is wrong with this girl?"  No one knows.  No one.  I also really like to read books about serial killers.  I'm not like other kids.  Anyway, I watched a little Lock Up on MSNBC...and it was everything I had hoped for.  The highlight was the focus on a relationship between two prisoners, Casper and Cash.  Cash was a young man who was spending time in prison because he tried to buy $700 worth of gift cards with stole credit cards.  At 2am.  While drunk.  He admitted it wasn't his best decision.  He also thought of himself as a young lady.  He was in love with the inmate in the adjoining cellblock, Casper.  They often bickered because Cash was such a flirt.  Exasperated with the situation, Casper exclaimed, "I just don't understand women!"  It was a true quality television moment for me.

3. And finally, I filled all the other time with watching football.  I was, of course, disappointed in ASU getting drilled by Texas Tech.  They were outcoached by Ryan Gosling.  The centaur, Jace Amaro, galloped all over my Sun Devils.  Sigh.

All the other games were pretty enjoyable to watch. According to Twitter, there were two distinct sides OSU fans fell on in regards to the Fiesta Bowl: wanting Baylor to be beaten badly or cheering for Baylor because they are in the Big XII.  I found myself in the former.  I just don't get cheering for a team because they are in your conference.  Yes, the more Big XII teams that lose, the worse the conference looks.  But I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret...the Big XII wasn't any good this year.  The jig is up.  And I'm not cheering for anyone unless it directly benefits Oklahoma State.  Because I'm an immature fan who is still bitter about Bedlam.  We should have won Bedlam, we should have won the Big XII and we should have been Fiesta Bowl bound.  But we weren't.  So watching Baylor get beat by a directional school in a schizo conference somehow made me feel better.  I can't explain my feelings, this is just who I am.

See you guys tomorrow when we talk OSU.

And Roll Tide.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm a fan of the Big XII Conference" is right up there with "I root for all Oklahoma teams". You can't root for teams that are rivals of your main rooting interest. Ever.
    This is closely related to one of the reasons I have trouble rooting for the Thunder. From a past blog of mine: "The Thunder has united fans from across the state. That may sound like a pro to you, but I don't want to be united with OU fans. I really don't like most people who root for OU. Seriously. I don't have any desire to find a common sporting interest with these people."

    Also, I was kind of hoping the 600 Lb. Life paragraph was going to end up being an OU fan joke. Yes, I may have a Bedlam problem.


    ReplyDelete