Friday, January 3, 2014

Smoke the Tigers

I cannot take you seriously in that mock turtleneck.  This is not a respectable item of clothing.  It's a shirt that couldn't quite commit to what it wanted to be, so it quit halfway through.  Why do coaches love mock turtlenecks?  It's like baseball players and their big gold chains.  You guys are supposed to be the coolest guys in the room, stop dressing like Kenny Powers.

So this is my last OSU football post of the season.  Kind of sad, huh?  Luckily, basketball season is upon us and we can all focus on that.  I've been asked no less than four dozen times if I was going to the Cotton Bowl.  Each time, I shamefully answer, "no."  With a limited amount of vacation time, I had to pick one sport to follow into the post season, and I chose Cowboy Basketball.  So if a certain backup point guard could stop smoking weed, that'd be great.

You know how yesterday I said I don't cheer for conferences as a whole?  Well, after last night's game and OU's shellacking of Alabama, I can say with complete confidence that I do cheer against conferences as a whole.  As I listened to the national announcers and followed along as sports pundits from across the country watched dumbfounded, I got more and more annoyed.  "It looks like maybe Alabama was overrated all year," they sputtered.  Oh yeah?  You made that decision 3 1/2 quarters in?  Maybe you shouldn't have crowned the prom queen before the school year even started.

Speaking of prom queen, let me shed a little light on my feelings about Missouri.  Missouri is Lindsay Lohan.  I should clarify, they are Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls.  The Big XII are Janis and Damien.  Missouri gets lured away by the Plastics (SEC), and just leaves us behind, caught up in all the glamour of their new popularity.  Out of nowhere, Missouri gets vaulted to Queen Bee because Georgia (Regina George) gets fat (riddled with injuries).  And now we're all supposed to believe that Missouri is the hottest girl in school.  Ummmm, it wasn't that long ago that she was wearing a XXL pink polo.  And she's a Mathlete.  But just you wait Missouri, the Burn Book just got turned into Mr. Duvall's office.  It's about to get real.  Your reign as queen of the Plastics is coming to an end.

In all seriousness, I don't know that much about Missouri.  I stopped paying attention to them when they left the Big XII.  I've got an art show to focus on...just kidding, I promise that's my last Mean Girls reference.  They have had a good season, and from what I understand they never blitz. And that's about all I know about them.

If the Cowboys play like they did against Baylor and Tech, this should be enjoyable to watch.  Quarterback draws, running north/south, and taking shots down the field...those are my keys to success.  If the Pokes play like they did against WVU, OU, or TCU, I'll more than likely stomp my feet and string together 12 cuss words at a time...in a whisper of course.  I refer to it as Whisper Rage.  Noun.  What Kathy does when her sports teams aren't performing up to their capabilities and her child is asleep.  It's often brought on by 3-and-outs, poor special teams execution, and blown coverages.  So let's keep those to a minimum, huh?  I feel hopeful with a bit of trepidation...so I'm basically in the same frame of mind I always am before kickoff.

Let's go Cowboys, show me that late November team still exists.  Beat Mizzou.

P.S. Gundy, that mock turtleneck is so fetch.

1 comment:

  1. I think Gundy would look amazing in that turtle neck if he coached for ut.

    ReplyDelete