Thursday, December 15, 2011

When I grow up...

... I want to type on a typewriter in my car, while driving on the wrong side of the road and wear a fedora.  At least that is what is indicated by this accompanying photo.

I stumbled upon an article about the Oklahoma City Thunder today on Grantland.  Here is a link to the story and here is a link to the site.  I of course loved it.  I then became sad.  Have you read Grantland?  It's awesome.  It also employs one of my favorite writers, Chuck Klosterman, so that was an instant selling point for me. 

I like to think that I'm not selfish, or self absorbed, but in all honesty, from time to time, I am.  Whatevs.    I volunteer a lot, that has to negate some of my bratty jealous moments, right?  When I read sites like Grantland I become instantly jealous of the people who get to write opinion pieces about sports FOR THEIR JOB.  Seriously, do these people know how lucky they are?  Coming from a girl who has an opinion about everything, the prospect of getting paid to be funny and opinionated makes me light-headed.    I decided, today at 1:45 p.m., that writing for Grantland would be my dream job. But fear not, friends, I've got a few other things I'm positive I would excel at:

1. An otter trainer.  I love otters.  They are funny and playful, and they like to swim.  Win, win, win.  That would be a fun job.

2. An English-speaking tour guide in Pompeii.  I have an obsession with Pompeii thanks to my high school Latin teacher, Mrs. Albert.  I will find a way to end up in Italy giving tours to Americans and Brits wearing fanny packs.  Last time I was in Pompeii, our guide told me I had real potential.  Grazie.

3. Butter chef.  You know, like Paula Deen.  How amazing would it be to be able to just cook everything in a ton of butter.  For your job.  I mean, come on.  Heaven on buttery, fat Earth.

I'm not sure how I would categorize my last dream job, but I think I would be excellent as a personal tour guide.  I would just go with you on your family vacations, take pictures for you, tell you all the random things I know about the places you are visiting, take you to great restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe, and basically become your best friend.  I would excel at that job.

That's all for now.  Back to my real job, where they unfortunately do not pay me to tell jokes or be funny.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, first of all: Otters are some of my favorite animals. I want to come back in my next life as a sea otter. They use rocks to break open shellfish which are balanced on their stomachs. Second: Grantland and everyone involved with it kind of suck. Not because they aren't good at what they do, but because I am jealous of them.

    Loved the post. Someday we will write (possibly together) jokes and get paid!

    ReplyDelete