Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Happy Nuggets

It's good to be back in the blogosphere, I really need to work on being more consistent in my writing.  I apologize web-friends.  You can assume one of two things if I'm not writing: I'm insanely busy OR I don't have anything interesting to say.  The theme of 2011 seemed to be, "How many things can Kathy find herself involved in?"  The unofficial results: 427.  I'd like to round that out to 430 for 2012.  A common scene in my house this year was me running through rooms yelling, "I'm so stressed out!"  I officially had a full plate this past year.  So full, the mashed potatoes were falling off the side.  Don't act like you don't get that analogy, everyone loves mashed potatoes.

Today, I'm going to share with you a few of my December favorite things.  It's kind of like Oprah's favorite things, but I'm not wealthy, I won't be giving you anything, and I won't be scream-announcing each one.  Sorry.

1. My Christmas Chicken.  My mom came up last weekend and we did a little holiday shopping.  We bought some Christmas decorations, because you can NEVER have enough.  Ever.  Anywho, we found these little penguins that are wearing Santa hats and bounce up and down due to the springs inside them.  Amazing.  My mom kept calling them chickens, which annoyed me.  Penguins, not chickens.  Quit  calling them chickens.  Despite my insistence of her avian misidentification, she continued to call them chickens.  What's the point in fighting it?  Just go with it.  So last night, as I was finishing my Christmas decor, I named my new penguin "The Christmas Chicken."  Then I would bop him on the head and watch him bounce up and down.  Boing, boing, boing, goes the Christmas Chicken.  Sometimes it's the little things that make Kathy the happiest.

2. The Animal Game.  You know how kids go through phases?  I do that too.  My current phase is explaining states of being by combining an adjective with an animal.  It started with Sad Panda.  I can't claim Sad Panda, I'm not sure where it came from, but I have wholeheartedly adopted it.  This morning, as I groggily stumbled through the kitchen, I announced that I was a sleepy penguin.  Husband said, "Oh yeah?  Not a sleepy chicken?"  I rolled my eyes.  Seriously, who has ever heard of a sleepy chicken?  No one, that's who.  I explained, "Um no.  Sleepy Penguin.  Christmas Chicken.  Sad Panda."  And per usual, I got a confused look of, "I don't understand most of what you say."  I'll be adding to the list.  Suggestions welcome.

3. Sending unexpected cards.  I like to send non-Christmas cards during the holidays.  I'm so unconventional.

4. Cliche confusion.  Have you seen the movie  Boondock Saints?  Are you familiar with the guy who mixes up his cliches/proverbs?  "You know what they say, people in glass houses sink ships."  I'm married to that guy.  Husband just smushes phrases together and presents them as some new wise pieces of advice.  This happens about three times a week.   Last night he said, "He just has too many bees in his bonnet." 
Me: "One bee.  Not multiple.  One." 
Husband: "But wouldn't you be more upset if there were a lot of bees?" 
Me: "That's not the point.  You can't just change phrases."
...as you can see, I'm kind of a hypocrite.  Of course you can change phrases.  So I've decided to just enjoy the ride.  Smush away, Husband.  The more obscure the better.

5. Tebow Time.  See above: I'm a hypocrite.  I'll be the first to admit that I found St. Timothy of Gainesville VERY annoying during his collegiate career.  I did kind of like when he gator-chomped towards the OU team during the 2008 National Championship Game, but besides that he drove me a little nuts.  And then Denver drafted him and I rolled my eyes.  But he has won me over.  Winning does that.  I love winning.  And I know that if he played for anyone else, I would scoff.  But he doesn't, so I think Tebow Time is fun.  I'm fickle.  Deal with it.  I think of Tebow much like I thought of Byron Eaton.  I cheer for him because he plays for my team.  He drives me crazy.  I don't understand his choices on the field/court,  but if he wins, I'm happy.  And you know, Tebow Time, much like Happy Hour, can't last forever.  So let's order another round of margaritas, virgin of course, and enjoy it while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment