Monday, May 11, 2015

Sports Shorts


I bet you thought I wouldn't write about sports for a while, because none of MY teams are playing at the moment.  And what does Kathy actually know about sports in general?  You doubted me, and that is fair.  Wrong, but fair.

I like to keep my sports knowledge at just a high enough level that I come across smarter than I actually am.  This is actually my entire philosophy in life.  Buzz words.  Jargon.  Fake it till you make it.

I apply this philosophy to sports like golf.  I'm a fringe golf fan.  And by fringe, I mean, I don't really follow it.  I enjoy watching it live, ala the Phoenix Open.  But that was more about people watching and heckling.  Sidenote: I love to heckle.  In all honesty, I cheer for a select few on the PGA tour: guys who played at OSU and Bubba Watson.  And that's about it.

As you might of heard, the highly reliable publication Sports Illustrated released an anonymous poll last week of the most overrated players on the tour, as voted on by the players themselves.  And Rickie Fowler found himself atop the results.  Hunter Mahan garnered quite a few votes himself.  Obviously, none of the voters have seen the Golf Boys video.  Or maybe they had and had sad feelings that they weren't part of the club.  Or maybe they didn't really poll players, they just polled Thayer Evans and he voted for OSU guys...it's hard to know the rationale, really.

So Rickie Orange Pants punched back and won in very impressive style at the Players Championship.  A tip of the flat bill to you, my friend (we're not friends, I totally wish we were though).  Take that, ya anonymous jerks.   Maybe next time when asked to participate in a catty popularity poll, you'll think twice.  Don't pick on my Pokes, Pistol Pete might just shoot you.  (This blog does not condone gun violence.  Hug more, shoot less).

It's also important to note that his smokin' hot girlfriend who had Twitter all abuzz is a Sundevil. Like me.  And by pointing that out, I just pulled a total Vanderbilt.  You know how all the SEC schools like to talk about how the SEC is so dominant, and you're all, "But you're Vanderbilt.  You aren't really good at anything.  You're the Northwestern of the SEC.  You're only here for your brains."  I'm kind of like that with ASU.  They have quite the reputation for attractive students.  And sure, I went there for my graduate degree, and was a member of  the graduate and professional students association, BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.  I earned my degree just like all of those freakishly good looking people did, ergo we are the same.  Rickie Fowler's girlfriend and Kathy: Sundevils.

A few other sports-related items for your reading pleasure:

.......kudos to the NBA for going all March Madness on us.  I'm an so down for buzzer beaters.  If you guys start storming the court, I'm totally in.........I watched the 30 for 30  on the Detroit Pistons last week.  I made the decision while watching that Bill Laimbeer may be my most favorite NBA player of all time.  I'm pretty sure he represents every thing I believe.  Let's face it, sometimes you just have to throw a hard elbow to the face to get your point across (It is becoming more unclear if I might actually condone violence after all)..........I signed up to take the Sports Jeopardy test next week. I do things like this to ensure humility.  Because no matter how much you think you know, any time I've taken a test like this, I've left thinking, "How would anyone know the answer to that?"  But if they happen to only ask questions about Oklahoma State, Kevin Durant, or the BIG 8/BIG XII, I should knock this sucker out of the park.  I'm also very good at sports jargon, I aced that test in my 8th grade journalism class.  I predict this will go very, very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment