Thursday, April 16, 2015

It's handled


I have an unhealthy obsession with crime.  True crime.  TV crime.  I love it all.  And by love, I mean am fascinated by it.  If I actually loved crime, I'm pretty sure that would make me a criminal.  And we all know that I'm a model citizen.  Amen.

I saw a promo for Dateline yesterday about a woman who solved a crime by applying the things she had learned by watching Dateline.  HELLO!  Can you say, "Kathy's dream come true"?  You end up featured on a show about solving crimes because you watched the show about solving crimes.  A true thing of beauty.  I'm so good at evaluating crime from a distance and coming to rock-solid conclusions all on my own.  And the thing is, I'm self-taught!  No formal training.  I'm  basically a savant.

The level of intensity at  which I followed the Aaron Hernandez trial was....well, it wasn't normal.  I'm not a Patriots fan.  I've never been to Boston.  But that didn't stop me from following some random Fox reporter from Boston and his live coverage via Twitter.  Every day, I closely watched what was going on 140 characters at a time.  At least once a week, I'd give Husband an update on the haps in the courtroom.  He needed those updates, because he's a rational person who doesn't follow court cases unrelated to him via social media.  Whatever.  It takes all kinds.

So yesterday when it was announced that a verdict had been reached, I was actually anxious.  I honestly don't know what is wrong with me.  Judge Garsh addressed the jury after they delivered their guilty verdict and thanked them for their time and for serving. She said, "I understand it is not easy to sit in judgment of a fellow human being."  And I thought, "Hmph.  I don't think that's true.  I find it very easy.  Second nature, actually."

So now the trial is over and I have to move on.  Must fill the void.  Find some crime somewhere else and come up with theories of what went wrong in this person's life to lead them down this dark path.  Maybe I'll turn my attention to Lawrence Phillips....that guy's got lots of material to study up on.

Or maybe I could just focus on Scandal.  Fake crime.  Or is it?  I just started watching Scandal a month ago.  And yes, I'm aware that makes me three years late to the party.  I'm not concerned with your time frames, I do things on my own clock.  My clock is always slow.

So I'm binge-watching.  Pope & Associates for hours.  And this show....  It's just maybe too intense.  I have a very high level of stress while watching it, plagued constantly with the reoccurring question of, "Why can't any of these people make better decisions?!"  I think we all knew Fitz couldn't be trusted after he killed Patrick Swayze in Ghost, but damned if Olivia can't make good decisions to save her life.  This show is like Pretty Little Liars but set in D.C.  Too many crimes!  Too much murder!

Am I naive in my belief that there shouldn't be this much murder going on in such a small circle of well-dressed people? And don't even get me started on what this show has done to my outlook on political marriages.  I'm starting to think this show is affecting my life, and I'm guessing that's not a good thing.

The moral of the story is that I either need get a grip or start working on my online criminal justice degree.  It can be mine is just 12 short months.

No comments:

Post a Comment