Monday, October 28, 2013

To the loser goes the gift card

I had big plans for the blog today.  Big, big plans.  I was going to share with you about my amazing game show experience.  It was going to be my shining moment.  I had this blog outlined in my head, ready to write after my numerous victories.   But I lost.  And now I am le sad.  A big, sad, non-shiny loser.  Cue the sad trombone.

But you know what?  I'm going to tell you about the experience anyway.  For  my shame is transparent.  I tried out for a local trivia game show about a month ago at the State Fair of Oklahoma.  Yes, you read that sentence correctly.  While I officially competed against two other people in my tryout, I really only competed against one.  Junior didn't answer one question.  Not a single one.  He never used his buzzer.  His wife yelled at me later that she was pretty sure I was cheating.  If you call being brilliant cheating, then guilty as charged, lady.  So, last week I was notified that I was chosen as a contestant on America's newest game show: Wild Card!  I had an inflated sense of self confidence.  And then last night, I started to get very nervous.  What if they made the questions harder?  What if I froze when the red light came on, ala Cindy Brady? (I purposely didn't wear pigtails for that very reason).  When I got to the green room today, I started to get more nervous.  There were lots of knowledge bombs being dropped.  It became clear quickly, this was not a room filled with Juniors.

Here are the highlights of my first and probably last game-show appearance:

  • I lost the ability to tell the difference between clubs and spades (twice).  I've always struggled with this.  I'm playing card dumb.  So, that wasn't my finest moment.  Luckily it was recorded by television cameras for posterity's sake.
  • I got the one and only sports question right.  Obvi.  
  • I was slow on the buzzer.  Tis the achilles of many a game show contestant.  Realizing I needed to make a move, I buzzed in to one answer before the question was complete.  I did not have any idea what the answer was, so I rambled on and on.  The answer was, "True."  Because it was a true or false question.  So if you are keeping score at home, I managed to look quite foolish three times, which is consistent with my daily average.
  • I need to work on my frowny face.  Husband came to cheer me on and took several pictures. As I was scrolling through them, I noticed a consistent theme: Kathy has a frowny face.  I believe the scientific term is BRF.
My parting gift was a gift certificate to a restaurant in Choctaw.  So, I'm going to need to figure out how to get to Choctaw, I guess.

So that's that.  I lost and am pretty disappointed.  I'll probably bounce back, but who really knows.  I need a good case of game night where I can dominate my opponents and shove it down their throats to make myself feel better.  I believe the scientific term for that is Poor Sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment