Friday, November 16, 2012

Hiking a mountain with Bradley Cooper

There are two things on my mind, and they have nothing to do with one another.  This happens a lot.  I want to blog, but I have too many topics to cover.  So, I'm just going to write about them both.  Don't try to find the common bond.  It doesn't exist.

This morning I was watching Morning Joe. I think this is a sign that I really am old.  Or well-informed.  Or on my way to being a well-informed senior citizen.  (**Editor's note: I had a very long paragraph here explaining why I watch Morning Joe.  After I read it, I realized no one cares why, so I deleted it.  If you want to know my reasoning, let me know.  I'm happy to share).

On today's show Bradley Cooper was promoting his new movie.  After watching his interview, I walked into the kitchen and had the following conversation with Husband.

Kathy: I'm uncomfortable with how attractive Bradley Cooper is.
Husband: Oh yeah?
Kathy: Yeah.  He's promoting his movie on Morning Joe, and he's also talking public policy.  When his segment ended, he asked  if he could stick around to talk to Chris Christie. Apparently, he's smart.  AND he speaks French.  And he's just so good looking.  It all makes me a little uncomfortable.
Husband: **laughing**
Kathy: Can someone really be that perfect?  I just don't know.  
Husband: Maybe he's a womanizer.
Kathy: That's okay with me.

I thought about my last comment as I continued getting ready and came to the conclusion that I don't mind men who are womanizers.  In fact, a lot of my very good guy friends are womanizers.  I don't even know what that says about me.  I worry that sometimes I really am a boy, but then I buy four pairs of new shoes and watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and balance everything out.

Moving on... somehow my name and address were distributed to every company that produces a catalog in the last four months.  We honestly get at least four each day in the mail.  Just throw them out, Kathy, you say.  Well, no.  I flip through every one of them.  I use those little sticky tabs that you are supposed to use on important documents at work and tag all the things I like.  I get a shopper's high from it without spending money.  Somewhere along the line, someone out there in consumer land got the idea that Husband and I are adventurous.  We get catalogs filled with plaid outdoorsy stuff a lot.  They should know that they received bad information.

And then I received a Patagonia catalog two days ago.  Have you ever seen one of these?  I had not. I had no idea what I was missing out on.  Remember when Elaine Benes worked as a copy editor for the J. Peterman Catalog?  I think the Patagonia catalog is the Peterman catalog in the real world.  There are stories inside.  Long adventurous tales.  It's fascinating.  Beautiful pictures of mountains and such.  They aren't just selling clothes here people, they are selling a lifestyle.  And I'm buying!  I'm buying the clothes, not the lifestyle.  Who in the world has time to climb a mountain?  I am currently trying to find time to make my bed.

So is it acceptable for a non-adventurous person to wear Patagonia?  Because I feel like the only people I've ever seen wearing it are also wearing hiking boots and carrying a Nalgene bottle.  I have neither.  Would I be instantly identified as a poser?  Because there is a very cute orange pullover jacket, that apparently is perfect for wicking away the moister while climbing over boulders.  I however would wear it as I climb the treacherous stairs of Gallagher Iba Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment